Metlika, a border town, has a turbulent and interesting history. The territory of Metlika was inhabited already in the prehistoric times and Antiquity. Metlika, which was named Novi trg in Metlika back in the 14th century, was again granted city rights on April 29th ,1365 by Albreht IV, the count of Gorica-Tyrol. Later on, the town was marked by the invasion of the Turks, earthquakes, fires, the first reading society and the first savings bank in the region of Dolenjska and Bela krajina, the first fire brigade in Slovenia, etc. In 2005 Metlika is celebrating its 640th anniversary of city rights.