Miner's footpath

The miner's footpath starts at the entrance to the Kanižarica mine and runs past Zorenci to the village of Butoraj, then across the bridge on the river Lahinja back to the starting point. The 5km long miner's footpath dates back to the times of the opening of the mine in 1857. Until 1965, when the bus route was organized, the path had been used by miners from Butoraj and Zorenci. The walk took about an hour, in the winter even longer, when it was especially difficult to cross the stream. For this purpose, the miners built a 6 to 8m long footbridge which was often destroyed by heavy rain.

Technical description

  • Waypoints: Kanižarica–Zorenci–Butoraj–Kanižarica
  • Start: Kanižarica
  • Access: road Črnomelj–Kanižarica
  • Length: 5 km
  • Time: 1 h
  • Highest Point: Butoraj, 170 m
  • Difficulty: easy

Points of interest

Former brown coal mine Kanižarica, mine headframe