Črnomelj’s Sights, from the Castle to the Cellar

Črnomelj, a town in the embrace of Lahinja and Dobličica rivers.

Črnomelj is Bela krajina’s biggest town. The old town centre sits at 156 m above sea level atop a naturally formed pier formed by the sharp river bends of Lahinja and Dobličica. It is the transportation hub of Bela krajina with roads leading to Metlika and Dolenjske Toplice via Semič, and others that lead in the direction of the national border via Griblje, Adlešiči, and Vinica or via  Stari trg ob Kolpi and along the Kolpa river to Kočevje. Črnomelj’s earliest preserved mentions date to 1228 referring to it as Schirnomel. Less than fifty years later, in 1277, the settlement, which had formed around the castle, was promoted to market town status. It received full township rights in 1407; the modern day town counts approximately 6.000 residents.

A walk through Črnomelj reveals testaments to the town’s vibrant history at every turn.

The central square Trg svobode  is framed by a medieval castle, the Teutonic Order’s commandry, and the former savings and loan bank building. The pastoral centre containing archaeological heritage that is located near St Peter’s parish church, and the gothic church dedicated to the Holy Ghost  indicate that the town’s history reaches even further back in time. The gothic church was reopened in 2007, following a thorough renovation. Its present shape stems from the 15th century while its location was a sight of a settlement as early as the Neolithic era. Today the church is used for cultural events. There is Primožičeva hiša – a house of Bela krajina’s craftsmen nearby as well.

Often groups of tourists plan visits to the Črnomelj Cellar – a wine tasting establishment of the Wine Information Centre of Bela krajina. Many take the trip to Griček where the monument to the victims of World War II is situated; Bela krajina was the cradle of the partisan movement, as attested by memorial plaques on several local houses. The industrial part of Bela krajina's history is displayed in the museum on the site of the closed Kanižarica lignite mine.

You are invited to sift through the digital Travel guide to Črnomelj or see the video presentation of the Črnomelj Municipality.