The Church of Holy Spirit is located on ancient cultural grounds, where we can find human traces from the Neolithic Period until the modern age. During the Ice Age its location represented the edge of the settlement, but in late antiquity a church was erected on the very same spot, where it stands today. The discovered apse and mosaic bear witness to that. In the Middle Ages the ground located a fortified building, which covered the south-eastern end of the city and was an important part of the city’s defence together with the walls. That same building would develop into the current church premises in the second half of the 19th century. The church was first mentioned in written in 1487. By the 20th century it witnessed many ups and downs, and it was also severely affected by the World War II. Renewed and reopened in 2007, it now represents the central cultural structure in the old town core of Črnomelj. Some points of interest in the church: Aquileian mosaic from the late antiquity (4th-5th century), apse churches from the late antiquity (4th-5th century), the tombstone of the writer Ivan Živkovič (17th century), etc.